Harvey Weinstein stepped out for dinner in New York on Tuesday night dressed like a ‘homeless guy’ and is said to have demanded that photos of him taken on the street be deleted.
The disgraced Hollywood producer was spotted arriving for dinner at Cipriani in Soho, which has previously been described as his alleged ‘hunting ground’ to pursue women in years gone by.
Shelley Z. Ross, a well-known veteran journalist who was waiting to dine at the restaurant frequented by celebrities, spotted a noticeably slimmed-down Weinstein and quickly snapped several photos out on the street.
Moments later, the former network executive said she was approached by someone from inside the restaurant and was asked to delete the pictures.
His spokesperson later explained the reason for the outing, telling DailyMail.com: ‘Harvey was coming from the gym and was carrying a Zenga suit to change into for his dinner with his legal team of Donna Rotunno, Damon Cheronis and Diana Samson.’
He then added: ‘He has been going out in public more, and feeling encouraged by the people he has been meeting and talking with.’
Ross said she first noticed Weinstein when he walked out of the restaurant ‘dressed like a homeless guy’ with a limp.
She said he walked across the street to where a security car was parked but sat in a nearby window sill and started texting on his phone frantically.
The car pulled away and returned about 10 minutes later with a fresh white shirt and jacket on a clothes hanger.
Ross took several photos of Weinstein as he carried his clothes back towards the restaurant.
She said he asked her if she was taking his photo and claims he momentarily paused to pose. Ross said she snapped a photo at that moment but someone walked in front of her camera.
Seconds after Weinstein went back inside the restaurant, Ross said the host came out and asked for the photos to be deleted.
Ross, who has worked a print and broadcast journalist for decades, said it was just a reflex to take Weinstein’s photo with her iPhone.
‘I was shocked to see him as he left the restaurant and crossed the street. He was badly limping, as if recovering from a hip replacement,’ Ross told DailyMail.com.
‘He sat down on what appeared to be a brick ledge. I was fascinated he was sitting alone, appearing to be waiting for someone. I didn’t expect him to return to the restaurant with a change of clothes.
‘I don’t know if the man who passed along Weinstein’s request that I delete the photo was the maitre d or someone else in management at the restaurant. While very polite, he was clearly someone comfortable in the role as Weinstein’s messenger.’
She said it was ‘ironic’ that Weinstein seemingly felt harassed by her.
The restaurant, which is owned by entrepreneur Giuseppe Cipriani, was reportedly used by Weinstein as an alleged hunting ground before his fall from grace.
He was accused of sexually assaulting three women at a hotel owned by Cipriani.
Weinstein, whose case inspired the #MeToo movement, is set to stand trial in September in New York on sexual assault charges.
He is charged with raping a woman in 2013 and performing a forcible sex act on a different woman in 2006.
He has denied the allegations and has pleaded not guilty
Weinstein is free on $1 million bail ahead of his trial.