Boxing news: Andy Ruiz trolls Anthony Joshua as war of words with Lennox Lewis continues

0

ANDY RUIZ JR insists he would pick Lennox Lewis over Anthony Joshua if the two met in the ring at their primes as the British duo continue a bitter war of words.

Anthony Joshua has long clashed with compatriot Lewis, who is the last ever heavyweight to hold undisputed status by occupying all four major belts back in 2000.

Lewis was particularly critical of the 29-year-old earlier this year after Joshua suffered the first defeat of his professional career to Ruiz at Madison Square Garden in June.

On his United States debut, AJ was put down to the canvas four times in New York before a seventh-round stoppage, which saw his Mexican opponent take his WBO, WBA (Super) and IBF titles.

Joshua this week responded to Lewis’ claims he was not properly prepared for the bout in a Sky Sports documentary, declaring: “Lennox is a clown. I don’t respect Lennox. Me and Lennox are not the same. 

“My legacy is to sit back and enjoy the younger generation coming up, and not to be involved. 

“Just to appreciate what it takes to get there. Me and Lennox are cut from a different cloth.”

Lewis hit back on Twitter on Thursday, declaring: “Wow! He’s right! We ARE cut from a different cloth.

“Disappointed in AJ’s words but I understand that this ‘jealousy’ narrative was only fabricated AFTER I criticised them for [Deontay] Wilder negotiations. All of the sudden I’m a hater.”

And Ruiz has opted to take a dig at Joshua as negotiations over a rematch for their June battle continues.

Responding to a tweet which asked who would have won between Joshua and Lewis in the prime of their careers, Ruiz said simply: “Lennox all day.”

Unified world champion Ruiz has cast doubt on the likelihood of him taking on Joshua in Saudi Arabia.

A press conference held by Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn announced on Monday that a contract had been signed for a December 7 rematch in an open-air stadium in Diriyah, on the outskirts of Riyadh.

But Ruiz did not promote the ‘Clash on the Dunes’ via social media and declared on Instagram that he is not happy about fighting in the Middle East, although it will pocket him around £7.5million.

He said on Instagram: “The fight is going to happen soon. I’m trying to give hope, give motivation to all my people. It’s going to be on my terms, our terms. 

“We’re going to bring it back here in the United States. It’s like I said, I don’t have no protection over there [in Saudi Arabia].” 

Hearn has since threatened to take legal action over the matter, with Ruiz under contract to take on Joshua for a second time, but it is unclear whether the announced fight will go ahead.

Lewis, meanwhile, added on Twitter that his feud with Joshua does not benefit him.

He said: “Disappointed in AJ’s words but I understand that this “jealousy” narrative was only fabricated AFTER I criticized them for Wilder negotiations. All of the sudden im a hater. 

“Ask who benefits from such a simple minded narrative? Not AJ. Not me.”

He added in another post: “I think this speaks for itself. Casting me as a “jealous hater” for AJ’s career is nonsense. It all started with rightful criticism for not doing enough to make wilder fight happen. I won’t be pitted against AJ. #TheHearnAgenda.”

Joshua, however, doubled down on his comments and said on Instagram: “Always say it how [it]is. A clown is a clown. He can wipe his make up off but his heart remains the same. No squares in my circle cuz! G s**t only.”

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply