A BABY who ate maggot-infested ham from Sainsbury’s allegedly ended up so sick her ribs were showing.
Care worker Jessica Edwards, 27, bought the sliced meat from the supermarket in Rustlington, West Sussex.
Later that day she fed some to her one-year-old daughter, Lily, who began to get sick, showing food poisoning symptoms hours later, Mirror Online reports.
But the next day, she received some chilling news from her mum, who was babysitting the poorly tot.
The ham was now crawling with maggots, thought to have hatched overnight.
“The thought of having Lily eating something like that is truly disgusting”
Sainsbury’s has said incidents like this are “extremely rare” and it was investigating with its supplier.
Jessica said: “I was absolutely terrified.
“I phoned the doctor from work straight away.
“The thought of having Lily eating something like that is truly disgusting.”
Jessica later said she found maggots crawling in Lily’s nappy, although it is not clear how they got there.
“She had really severe vomiting for 10 days,” Jessica explained.
“She was in and out of the doctors and hospital. They just branded it as food poisoning.
“She’s only one and she’s turned to bone. She’s small anyway.
“Everything was really visible. Her ribs and stuff. I was really scared.
“She just didn’t eat. She wasn’t holding anything down.”
Fortunately, and to the great relief of Jessica and her partner Mark, 35, the little girl pulled through and has a healthy appetite again.
Jessica said she does not blame Sainsbury’s for the incident but was annoyed the ham had not yet been tested at a laboratory when she phoned them up seven days later, having reportedly been told it would be tested within five days.
Allegedly when she phoned them, she was told the ham was still sitting in a freezer.
A Sainsbury’s spokesman said: “We have apologised to Jessica, reassured her cases like this are extremely rare and that we are investigating with our supplier.”